Bonding and Protection of your cruise holiday.

Bonding and Protection of your cruise holiday.

Afternoon Everyone,

A recent question I’ve been asked a lot by customers is about the subject of bonding / protection of Holidays, so I thought this might be of interest to my readers.ABTA-TTA-logo_700x394ATOL logo small

Bonding is a tricky subject, I understand that some people prefer to separate the elements of their holiday because it offers flexibility and a saving, ultimately it’s your decision – but here are the facts and downfalls.

I’m going to try to keep it simple and worded as you the traveller.


Self package

This is where you buy your cruise from an agent (such as ourselves) (and have ABTA protection on that cruise booking)

You buy your flights online from Some where else (like easyjet)

Transfers, Hotels all separate bookings and payments.

You’re being the agent – as its YOU that’s created the package.

ABTA / ATOL bonding does not apply if anything does not work.

What Can go wrong

Flight delay – it is YOUR responsibility to buy a new flight to the first port of call

Failure – say the Hotel goes into administration – you have to book into a different hotel and claim your money back for the first hotel / covering any difference yourself.

If you’re doing this – you should

  1. use your credit card for payments in case of financial collapse

(except the cruise as that has ABTA protection)

  1. Book a pre-cruise hotel stay – in case of a delayed flight out – you have a buffer of time just in case.


Full package

This is a One Stop purchase.

Where you book with one agent or operator and have ONE booking with everything within.

Check that the company is bonded in the relevant way depending on what you’re booking

ABTA = is a check of Quality and financial protection.

ATOL = is an agent that is licensed and protected by the Government to make packages on the customers behalf including AIR

ATOL stands for Air Tour Organiser Licence.


For an Agency to be ABTA & ATOL bonded requires the agent to submit their accounts annually, to be profitable, to have everything in order.


If your cruise has flights involved – you Must be issued with an ATOL certificate, this is your protection document in case of any failures or problems. It has information as to what you should do in the event of a collapse.

The ATOL certificate MUST be for the full package. a seperate certificate for the cruise, flights and hotel does not provide adiquate protection.

I hope this helps you.


Tarar for now


The Cap’n


Did you know here at Cruise Club UK we have a Loyalty Bonus Scheme. Book your chosen cabin type and you can receive up to 50 Bonus Points (1 Point = £1). That’s a saving of up to £50 off your next cruise booked with us.  

Email or call me to discuss your dream cruise: 0161 798 2514


Ahoy there! I’m Andy aka Captain Cookson! Welcome aboard my blog I’ll be treating you to the best bits of cruising. I’m a bit of a gadget geek and love all things technology so if you're the same, this is blog for you. I have a completely impartial opinion, no one influences my opinion so at least you know that you’ve got an honest insight into cruising. I’ve been working in travel for some years now and have been with the Cruise Club UK family for a long while now. I am the reservations team deputy supervisor so I am your man to deal with any burning issues for cruise sales, I’m helpful and hands-on. I myself love to travel both on cruises and land holidays, I’ve been on various ships in my time and like to discover all the new features which the cruise lines come up with, with every new ship. Sometimes the world of cruising can seem quite daunting but I’m your man to answer all those questions no matter how big or small I want to assure you that you’re getting the perfect holiday for the best price of course! So stay on board with me for all the coolest cruise bits & news. Capt’n.


Leave a Reply